Wednesday, January 07, 2009

He's Baaaaack...

Took a week off from the computer for Christmas. No big deal. But right after Christmas a situation arose that required my computer to be, shall we say, disassembled, and in more pieces than usual, with those pieces separated by more space than usual. On the one hand it was a very peaceful experience. I discovered, among other things, that I actually can get through a day without checking my five different email accounts thirteen times each. On the other hand, I found out -- well, confirmed, really; I've learned this before, always the hard way -- that just because I'm not checking email doesn't mean that people aren't sending them. So you can imagine what the backlog looks like.

One of the things that was uncovered today was an email about a review of my novel, Dreaming Creek. I don't know how long it's been up, but it's dated January 2009, so it can't be too terribly old. If you want to read the whole thing, it's on SFRevu.com:

http://www.sfrevu.com/php/Review-id.php?id=8485

Overall the reviewer enjoyed the book, though it's not all sunshine and daisies; he does point out several thing he considers to be flaws. But I forgive him for his transgressions, if only because of this paragraph:

"Schubert's writing style is almost thriller-like in its clarity and the short chapters make for quick reading. [He] has a very clear, very concise writing style. He does not bog down with detail, nor does he attempt to hammer the reader over the head with his own social observations. It appears, in fact, that he quite simply put the characters on the page and let them do their thing, allowing the reader to draw what conclusions they might. I imagine that's a hard thing to do, but Schubert does it quite well. If I hadn't researched and found out that this was his first novel I would have thought him an old pro. He certainly writes like one."

There's also an interview (in case you're not tired of those yet)(actually this interview was more interesting than many of the previous ones, if only because someone finally asked different questions; a lot of the previous ones covered a lot of the same territory, but not this one):

http://sfrevu.com/php/Review-id.php?id=8486

No comments: