Thursday, June 26, 2008

Expectations

Keeping it in perspective - that's what kids are good for.

I got my advance review copy (ARC) of the IGMS anthology the other day and I'm showing it off to my family when my oldest daughter (she's 12 going on 29) says to me, "When is your book coming out?"

I hold up the ARC and said, "This one? It comes out on August 5th."

"No," she says. "YOUR novel. I've told my friends at school about it and there are people with expectations." She says 'expectations' like they are on her, and no one else in the world could possibly understand the implications of such a thing.

I reply, "My novel won't come out for about three more months, late September." Then I hold up the ARC again and say, "But this one will be out in about a month."

Her reply?

"Sorry, dad. That one doesn't count. You didn't write that one."

That one doesn't count.

That's what she tells me.

Keepin' it real in the Schubert house...

5 comments:

Princess Alethea said...

Nope. She's right.
Doesn't count.

You give her a big hug and tell her I said so. :)

Edmund R. Schubert said...

With friends like these...

David B. Coe said...

[Nodding] I like this girl. But I think that for your sake and mine, we should keep our children apart....

David B. Coe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Edmund R. Schubert said...

We've done a pretty good job so far, David. Of keeping them apart, I mean. Not so sure about the child-rearing part...